Delta State Commissioner for Information, Charles Aniagwu, has challenged National Democratic Congress senatorial candidate for Delta Central, Senator Ovie Omo-Agege, to report his alleged attack and death threats to security agencies instead of making public accusations.
Aniagwu’s reaction followed Omo-Agege’s claim that more than 50 armed men attacked the venue of an NDC campaign meeting in Uvwie in the early hours of Friday.
Omo-Agege, a former Deputy President of the ninth Senate, alleged that the men destroyed campaign materials and threatened to kill him and his campaign coordinator if they attended the meeting.
He identified Emmanuel Erube, whom he described as the Disciplinary Committee Chairman of Jakpa, as the leader of the alleged attackers.
The NDC candidate also accused Governor Sheriff Oborevwori of being behind the incident, claiming that the governor had previously threatened his life.
Omo-Agege subsequently called on the Inspector-General of Police and the Director-General of the Department of State Services to investigate the alleged attack and provide security protection for him, his campaign team and supporters.
However, Aniagwu questioned why the former senator had not first approached the police or DSS if he genuinely believed that his life was under threat.
“If anybody is after him, he knows the police station. He knows the DSS office to go and report. Why do you make an issue statement?” Aniagwu said.
‘Governor and Omo-Agege are contesting different positions’
The commissioner also questioned the political motive behind the allegation against Oborevwori.
He noted that while Oborevwori was seeking re-election as governor, Omo-Agege was contesting for the Delta Central senatorial seat, arguing that there was no reason for the governor to seek to eliminate his political opponent.
“His Excellency is running for governor while Omo-Agege is running for the Senate. So, what is the governor’s interest in eliminating him?” he asked.
Aniagwu advised Omo-Agege to focus on his campaign and explain to voters what he intends to achieve if elected instead of concentrating on allegations against the governor.
Aniagwu says government focused on security
The commissioner also rejected the allegation that the Delta State Government was behind threats or attacks against opposition politicians.
He said the Oborevwori administration had taken steps to strengthen security across the state through regular meetings with security agencies and improved cooperation among them.
According to Aniagwu, efforts have also been made to reduce rivalry among security agencies and extend security measures to rural communities.
He said the government would not be distracted by what he described as allegations that did not reflect the situation on the ground.
Aniagwu added that the administration would remain focused on infrastructure, investment, security and other development programmes as the 2027 elections approach.
He said the government would continue to present its achievements under the MORE Agenda to the people of Delta State.
Omo-Agege’s allegations against Governor Oborevwori, Erube and others could not be independently verified as of the time of filing this report.


